As I stepped into IGI Airport I went through low phase of end of holidays. A family holiday one looks forward to all year. Moments of fun & laughter were all replaying in my mind. Yes it is a normal emotion everyone goes through when good things like these come to an end. But we walked towards immigration. Impressed with the speed & great attitude of the officer I was relaxed. Waiting at the belt for my luggage I wasn't irritated this time as I used to be earlier. Coz I had experienced so many Air delays & chaos at US Airports that this looked Pretty fast
While waiting at belt with not slept for 24 hours I saw an old couple struggling to pick up heavy luggage & put that on trolley. All three of us with same reaction went & helped them put the same on trolley & drag to exit gate.
So far so good. Then comes the Indian style. All private cars parked anywhere & everywhere & looked liked a fair where all one can witness is honks & traffic jams with not a single traffic police guy around.
Suddenly reminded me of last day in New York when a car was being towed away by police officers for wrong parking. When I asked what would be the fine? Reply was a 1000 dollars. And if he fails to pay his car will be auctioned & licence cancelled for life.
Any ways then comes the famous Mahipalpur Road. Where all constructions are illegal. Surprised that the main road which connects South Delhi to the Airport has been left the same way for decades now. As you pass outside Saket Metro station the congestion created by Auto guys & Gramin Seva who have licence to park anywhere & anytime blocking entire traffic behind
As I was about to sleep I started thinking of that old couple whom we helped with heavy luggage. How come it was an instant reaction of three of us? Are we really that compassionate always? No I realised that this was normal reaction as we were away from negativity of news channels & somewhere had spent such happy moments together that all this came naturally
No this blog isn't about putting US above India. We are great country. Met a lady on Coffee table from Canada. She said she dying to visit India but will do when have sufficient funds. When visited NASA Space Centre they were all in praise of ISRO going places & that got a rush of blood in our veins. That feeling of being proud Indian. When my flight got delayed & chatting with my friends on twitter & finally India winning made me dance as if no one watching. US is dying. Wrinkled faces. Obese youngsters. Streets filled with beggars. India on other hand is young & talented. I have practically visited entire world & my gratitude to my country for making me capable of doing that
But still there are harsh realities on which I have given up so the thought of moving out & settling in a small Scandinavian country
- A place where I can simply have tap water no RO or more Neral water required
- A place where I am not scared of food adulteration as laws are too strict for anyone to indulge
- A place where my son & me go cycling without fear of bad traffic or being smashed by a drunk driver with no fear of law
- A place where I can wear what I want to & stroll at nights fearlessly. Without being called "chalu " as it happens here
- A place where friends go out for a long drive from one city to other. Stop at gas station & buy chilled beer & enjoy. Yes the person behind sterling will not dare to drink as he is too scared of law catching up
- A place where on beach I wear whatever I feel best & no one is even bothered. Unlike here where I got most vulgar comments on posting a small pic
- A place like Times Square where at 2 at night I can sing & dance with my friends. Police all over but neither do they harass or bother you
- A place where I shall never need anti allergies & go out jogging in fresh air rather than paying huge fees to gym here coz running out will harm more than good
- A place where police as sniffer dogs to check for carrying drugs to place like Turks & Caicos but will not ban late night parties as in Goa
- A place where I am not judged with amount of jewellery I am wearing but If I am wearing a smile on my face.
- A place where I greet any stranger with a smile not with a scare that he will will feel I making an advance
I know India will do very well. Will be super power by 2030. GDP in double figures. Sensex at 1 lac plus. Make in India will be big success. I can go on & on
But will our mindset change? It might but may be few decades. Till then my youth would have been over. My son does not carry tag of SC ST or minority. I don't want him to waste his teenage in coaching centres & then end in disappointment that even with 95 plus he struggles to get subject of his choice. I hate when people burn national properties with no fear of law. All this affects me emotionally.
I will earn one tenth of what I earn today. Will not own fancy car. Will not be able to travel business. But I will breathe in freedom to eat, drink & wear what I want without being judged. I can be friends with any man but will not be trolled for having an affair with him. My son will not drive a Merc but will breathe air when cycling to his work place. Not carrying water bottle. Just stop & drink any place.
I know I will be trolled for this blog.But this is the truth. Outside India my identity is a human being and then an Indian. In India I am a Hindu or a jain or SC or Muslim or Christian or a Tamil or Jat.......No I just want to live as a soul.